There is no shortage of admirers of raw mangoes who like to enjoy the king of fruit before it gets ripe and sweet. From spicy chutney, aam ka achaar (pickles), salad, simple diced raw mango with chilli powder and salt or the very popular aam panna that has oh-so-cool effect on our bodies, there are endless green mango recipes that we can enjoy. all have enjoyed since childhood. (Also read: Summer Special: 6 Delicious Mango Recipes You Must Try This Summer)
The tangy and sweet raw mango has its own benefits thanks to its anti-inflammatory properties and other great nutrients, including vitamins C, E, potassium and magnesium. Even people with diabetes can enjoy it as it does not affect blood sugar levels when consumed in small amounts. Pregnant ladies can also rely on raw mango to help with those morning sickness.
Here are some benefits of raw mangoes by Harpreet Kaur, Nutritionist, Cloudnine Group of Hospitals, Panchkula.
1. Raw mango is an excellent source of immunity-boosting nutrients such as vitamins C, E and antioxidants.
2. It helps in reducing digestive problems during pregnancy such as acidity, constipation and indigestion when taken in small amounts.
3. Raw mangoes help reduce the severity of morning sickness to some extent due to its tangy taste.
4. It has a high fiber and water content and helps prevent dehydration. Therefore, it reduces the effects of heat stroke caused by intense heat.
5. It helps balance cholesterol and triglyceride levels and reduces the risk of heart disease.
6. It also contains potassium and magnesium, which will also protect heart and muscle health.
7. It helps reduce bleeding gums thanks to the protective properties of vitamin C.
8. It reduces the signs of aging.
Here are 5 raw mango recipes suggested by nutritionist Harpreet Kaur:
1. Raw mango chutney
1 medium raw mango
2 cups fresh mint leaves
Green chillies (to your taste)
2 tsp fennel seed
1 teaspoon cumin seeds
1 teaspoon black salt
Salt (to taste)
– Peel the raw mango and remove the pulp.
– Cut the pulp into small pieces so that it is easy to grind.
– Place all ingredients in a blender and blend to a smooth chutney. you
– Can add water if necessary.
– Enjoy your healthy chutney with your meals.
2. Raw mango salad
½ medium onion
½ tablespoon chopped green chili
½ tbsp chopped ginger
1/2 tbsp red chili powder (to taste)
Bell pepper (red green yellow)
1 tbsp sunflower oil
Salt to taste
– Mix all ingredients in a large bowl and add lime juice and coriander leaves for garnish.
3. Raw mango jam
Grated – 3 semi-ripe mangoes
1 cup sugar/cane sugar
¼ tsp salt
¼ tsp red chili powder (optional)
¼ tsp turmeric
– Put some sugar or cane sugar in the grated mango and mix it well.
– Cover and let it sit for an hour.
– Turn on the fire and heat a pan on low heat and put the mixture in the pan. Stir it well.
– Boil it on low heat for 10 minutes.
– Mix all ingredients well. Cover the pan and cook for another 20-25 minutes.
4. Raw mango cooler
2 raw mangoes
2 scoops of honey
½ glass of water
1-2 cups crushed ice
– Put all ingredients in a blender to make a spicy cooler.
5. Raw mango sharbat
2 raw mangoes (peeled and diced)
1 green chili mince
12-15 mint leaves chopped
2 tbsp coriander leaves
2 teaspoons lemon juice
1 teaspoon chaat masala
¾ cup – sugar
– Place all ingredients in a mixing bowl and mix into a sharbat.
– Mix well with the spoon and serve chilled. Garnish with chopped mint leaves.