PITTSBURG (KDKA) — Rania Harris is working on another soup recipe for her January comfort food series.
- 4 cups frozen corn kernels – lightly steamed
- 1 cup whipped cream
- 4 slices of thick cooked bacon – finely chopped
- 1 medium sweet onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper – finely chopped
- 1 Jalapeno – deseeded and diced
- 3 celery stalks – finely chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic – finely chopped
- 6 cups chicken stock (I used my frozen homemade corn stock made from summer corn on the cob – boxed chicken stock is fine to use)
- 3 Yukon Gold potatoes – peeled and diced
- 1 cup Monterey Jack cheese – shredded
- Salt to taste
Reserve ¾ cup of the corn kernels and puree the rest with the heavy cream in a food processor or blender. Reserve until needed.
Cook the bacon in a stockpot over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Add the onion, bell pepper, jalapeno, celery, and garlic. Cover and lower the heat. Cook, stirring occasionally, until vegetables are tender, about 8-10 minutes.
Add the ¾ cup reserved corn kernels, broth (or corn stock), and potatoes. Bring the soup to a boil and cook, covered, until the potatoes are cooked, about 10-15 minutes. Mix the soup briefly with a hand blender, but not into a puree. It’s fine if the soup shows some corn kernels and bits of boiled potatoes and vegetables.
Add the mashed corn and cream and the cheese. Heat the soup and season with salt and pepper. Serve the soup in preheated bowls.
Makes 2 liters
Thanks for reading CBS NEWS.
Create your free account or log in
for more features.