With the heat wave making a comeback after a temporary relief from the showers a few days ago, it’s time again to look for refreshing recipes to beat the heat and also ones that don’t require us to spend too much time in the kitchen, sweating and sweating. feeling uncomfortable. The good thing is that in summer there is no shortage of fresh fruits and vegetables that can be easily turned into mouthwatering meals. (Also read: 5 Delicious Raw Mango Recipes to Keep Digestive Problems at bay in the summer)
In the summer, health experts say you should try adding more cucumbers, fennel seeds, coconut water, pomegranate, melons, pumpkins and other lighter vegetables than leafy greens or whole-grain legumes.
Nina Maria Saldanha Executive Nutritionist, Cloudnine Group of Hospital, Sahakar Nagar, Bangalore, proposes 3 refreshing summer recipes.
1. Spicy Green Margarita
Lemon juice: 1 tbsp.
Raw mango: 20 grams
Mint leaves: 5-6 leaves
Kiwi: 50 grams
Honey: 1-1 tsp. (to taste).
Salt: 1 pinch, 1 tbsp (for garnish)
Chaat Masala: a pinch
Lemon wedge, lemon slice: 1 no. (each)
• Add all ingredients to a blender and mix well.
• Use the lemon slice to grease the rim of a glass and place the greased part of the glass in a small plate with the salt, covering the greased rim of the glass.
• Make a small cut in the lemon slice and stick it over the rim of the glass.
• Pour the mixed ice-cold juice into the glass and garnish with chaat masala and a sprig of mint.
• Serve cold.
2. Citrus Quinoa Blast
Quinoa – 150 g (cooked)
Walnuts – 3 nos (coarsely chopped, toasted)
Raisins – 5 nos (roughly chopped)
Flaxseed – 1 tsp. (roasted)
Chia seeds – 1 tsp. (roasted)
Peppers – 2 tbsp. (cut small)
Pomegranate seeds – 2 tbsp.
Corn (cooked) – 2 tbsp.
Cherry tomatoes – 2 nos.
Orange: ½-1 nr. (peeled and pitted).
Pumello: 100 g (only pulp)
Grilled paneer/chicken/tofu – 50 g (roughly chopped)
Lettuce – 1 leaf (well washed, roughly chopped)
Olive oil – ½ tbsp.
Salt – to taste
Pepper – to taste
Lime juice – 1 tsp.
• In a small bowl, add all the ingredients for the dressing and beat well; keep aside.
• In a large bowl, add all the main salad ingredients and toss lightly.
• Pour over the salad dressing and toss well.
• Serve at room temperature or cold.
3. Kiwi Lemon Mango Cheesecake
Kiwi: 2 numbers + no. (ripe)
Mango: 1 no. + no. (ripe)
Lemons: (juice of 2 lemons)
Sugar: 150 g
Hung curd: 300-500 ml
Biscuits: 10 nos.
Butter: 1 tsp. molten. +1 tbsp.
Condensed milk: 50 ml.
Cornstarch: 1 tsp.
Gelatin: 1 tsp.
• Kiwi Lemon Mango Curd:
– Grate the lemons and mix with sugar, and set aside.
– After grating, extract the juice and keep it separately.
– Mix cornstarch and water and keep aside.
– Make a puree of mango and kiwi, and keep aside
– In a saucepan over low heat, add the lemon zest and sugar mixture and stir well.
– Once the sugar starts to dissolve, add the butter and lemon and mix well, to this mixture add the mango and kiwi puree and mix well.
– Slowly and gradually add the condensed milk to this mixture, stirring constantly.
– Add the cornflour and stir well.’
– Cook on slow for 10-15 minutes, stirring constantly, until the curds lightly coat the back of the mixing spoon.
– Take a small portion (for garnish) and let it cool completely.
• The base:
– Make a fine powder from the cookies
– Add the melted butter to the cookie powder, mix well.
– Place the cookie mixture in the bottom of a springform/glass serving dish.
– Press the mixture firmly with a small cup.
– Place the base in the fridge for 30 min-1 hour.
• Cheesecake mixture:
– Add 1 tbsp. from hot water to gelatin powder, mix well and set aside to bloom,
– Take the hung curds in a mixing bowl and beat it well.
– Gradually add the cold Kiwi Lemon Mango Curd while beating the mixture.
– When the Kiwi Lemon Mango Curd and the hanging curd are well mixed, add the spent gelatin and beat well.
• Final preparation:
– Slowly pour the cheesecake mixture into the mold with the cold cookie base.
– Let it set in the fridge for 4-6 hours (for best results leave it overnight).
– When the mixture has set, carefully pour a thin layer of the remaining Kiwi Lemon Mango curds onto the cheesecake and let it set for 1-2 hours.
– Garnish with thinly sliced ripe mango and kiwi slices.