Black and white is a neutral color combination that is easy to dress up or dress up, while in many cases being the ideal foundation for almost any color palette. The key, many designers argue, is finding the ideal balance for how and when to use combinations of the two colors in a room. Here are some top tips.
1. Consider artwork to infuse black and white into a room.
2. Use black and white accents and accessories for a black and white color scheme.
3. Consider accent wall paint to bring black and white into a room.
4. Combine color accents with a black and white color palette. Green and yellow are colors that work well.
5. Bring large-scale elements of black and white into a room, such as large works of art.
1. Don’t saturate a room with too much black or too much white. A ratio of 50-50 or 70-30 is a good rule of thumb.
2. Don’t use overly dark elements in a room that doesn’t get a lot of light. In these cases, add shades, tones, and shades of white and use black as an accent.
3. Don’t miss opportunities to bring black and white into a space in big, bold ways, such as larger pieces of furniture and soft furnishings.
4. Don’t ignore wearable decor options to bring in black and white, such as pillows, throws, and accessories.
5. Don’t overdo it. Remember that less is more. Use black and white as the basis for your color story.
(Cathy Hobbs, based in New York City, is an Emmy Award-winning television host and a nationally renowned expert in interior design and home staging with offices in New York City, Boston, and Washington, DC. Contact her at infocathyhobbs .com or visit her website at cathyhobbs.com.)