NEW ONESYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
One of the best things about the epic barbecue we’ll be consuming this summer is an over-the-top mac and cheese.
“The Burnt Kevin gets its name from Kevin, a Super Smokers BBQ customer. He’s a local school teacher in Eureka, Missouri, who would come in every time they had training in the building just behind the restaurant,” said Jeff Fitter, pit master and owner of Super Smokers BBQ. “He always got the burnt ends with a side of mac and cheese.”
TONY ROMO’S CLASSIC SMOKED BEEF BRISKET RECIPE CAN BE MADE WITH 5 INGREDIENTS
“One day, while he was talking to me, he suggested making the combination of burnt macarons and cheese into a standalone dish. I told him that was a great idea and would honor his brilliant idea. the dish be named after him! The Burnt Kevin was born.”
Get the recipe below.
Burnt Kevin, recipe from Jeff Fitter, Super Smokers BBQ in St. Louis, Missouri
Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 45 minutes
Cooking time: 4 to 6 hours
3 lbs beef brisket, pointed or flat
½ cup kosher salt
2 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon black pepper, divided
½ cup granulated garlic
1 ½ cups Super Smokers KC Sauce (or other tomato-based barbecue sauce of your choice)
15 MINUTE SHRIMP TACOS WITH SLAW: TRY THE RECIPE
8 oz large elbow macaroni
3 tbsp unsalted butter
5 tablespoons all-purpose flour
3 cups half and half
2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
1 ½ cups grated asiago cheese
5 tbsp finely grated Parmesan cheese
1 ¼ tsp mustard powder
¼ tsp paprika
5-INGREDIENTS ST. LOUIS GRILLED RIBS FROM ‘DR. BBQ’: TRY THE RECIPE
1. Prepare the smoker and keep it at a constant temperature of 225°F.
2. In a bowl, mix salt, 2 tablespoons black pepper and garlic granules thoroughly. Apply to the breast, pressing into the meat so that it adheres. Place the brisket in the smoker and cook until the meat reaches an internal temperature of 200 to 205°F. Beef brisket should smoke for 1 to 2 hours per pound, so a 3 pound brisket will take 4 to 6 hours to reach the right temperature. While the brisket is smoking, make the mac and cheese. Remove the breast and let rest for 30 minutes.
3. Trim the fat from the cooked breast (remember, burnt ends are a little greasy). Cut the brisket into 1-inch by 1-inch cubes and place in an aluminum sheet pan. Add sauce and mix well.
4. Place the pan in the smoker and cook at 230°F to 250°F for 30 to 45 minutes to caramelize the sauce. The brisket is now ready to serve. Cover and keep warm until mac and cheese is gone.
5. To make the mac and cheese, cook macaroni al dente. Drain and place in a sheet pan.
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
6. Melt the butter on the stove in a deep saucepan and whisk in the flour to make a roux. Stir until the flour is pale golden and smells toasty.
7. Slowly pour about 1 ½ cups of the half-and-half roux into the roux, beating to avoid lumps. When all the lumps are gone and the sauce starts to thicken a bit, add the rest of the half. Continue whisking until contents begin to simmer, about 5 to 8 minutes.
8. Lower the heat and add cheddar cheese. Beat until completely melted, then add Asiago, beating until fully incorporated.
9. Whisk in the remaining black pepper, Parmesan cheese, mustard powder and paprika. Carefully pour the sauce into the ½ pan, mix with the macaroni. Cover and keep warm until ready to add brisket.
10. Serve Burnt Kevin by scooping macaroni and cheese into a shallow bowl and top with smoked brisket.
This original recipe is owned by supersmokers.com and was shared with Fox News Digital.
CLICK HERE TO SUBSCRIBE TO OUR LIFESTYLE NEWSLETTER