Let’s admit that dosa has a distinct fan base. We love munching on a healthy plate of piping hot dosa served with sambar and coconut chutney. So much so that dosa has become one of the most popular breakfast options for everyone. All it takes is a little preparation [in advance] where you have to keep the batter for at least a few hours before fermentation. However, if you are among those who don’t have that much time, don’t worry. There are many easy alternatives that you don’t have to wait long for. One such easy to cook recipe is bun dosa. This instant dosa recipe can be your everyday snack of choice. After all, it’s always better to have snacks that require as little oil as possible than many other fried foods.
The step-by-step recipe of bun dosa has been shared by food vlogger Parul on the “Cook with Parul” YouTube channel. So if you’re curious enough to know more about it, find the recipe below.
Also read: Indian Cooking Tip: How To Make Street-Style Andhra Dosa
Instant Dosa Recipe | How To Make Bun Dosa:
For bun dosa batter
- Puffed Rice/kadle puri/murmure- 2 cups
- Sooji/Rava- 1 cup
- Fresh curd – 1 cup
- Salt – 1 tablespoon
- Sodium carbonate
- Green pepper – 3
- Roasted peanut – 2 tablespoons
- Garlic cloves- 5
- Dried coconut powder – 4 tablespoons
- Green coriander – 1/2 cup
- Fresh curd – 3 tablespoons
- Salt to taste
Tadka for chutney
- Oil – 1 tablespoon
- Mustard seeds – 1/2 tablespoon
- Urad dal – 1/2 tablespoon
- curry leaves
- For bun dosa tadka
- Oil – 2 tablespoons
- mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
- Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
- Green pepper – 3
- Chopped curry leaves
This is how you prepare bun dosa
- First take a bowl of puffed rice (murmura) in it. Grind the murmura and turn it into a powder.
- Mix suji (rava) and dahi into the powdered murmura. Add salt to taste and start mixing everything well.
- You can use some water if you want. Do not pour a lot of water at once. Keep adding small amounts and keep mixing until it gets the consistency of a batter. Cover with a lid and let it rest for about 5 to 10 minutes.
- Meanwhile, make a delicious chutney. To do this, take a grinding jar – put finely chopped green chillies, roasted peanuts, garlic cloves, dried coconut powder and green coriander leaves followed by fresh curd. Add salt at the end and turn it into a paste. Chutney is ready.
- Add a tadka to the chutney to enhance the taste. Take a tadkapan and heat it in some oil. Add the mustard seeds, followed by urad dal and curry leaves. Mix well. Add a pinch of hing and pour the tadka over the chutney.
- Check the murmura batter you prepared. You need to add tadka to the batter. Heat some oil in a separate tadkapan, add mustard seeds, urad dal, green chillies and chopped curry leaves. Mix them well. When done, add the tadka to the batter. Add ENO to the batter and add a little water to activate it. Mix the batter well.
- For bun dosa, take a pan, kadhai or tawa, and grease it with some oil. Once the pan is heated, pour a ladle full of batter into the center of the pan. You will notice that it automatically spreads out a bit in the circle shape.
- Cover the pan with a lid and let the bun dosa cook for a few minutes. When it’s done, flip it over and follow the same process for the other side. Fry both sides until golden brown. Prepare as many bun dosas as you want.
- Serve warm with the chutney.
Watch the full bun dosa recipe video below:
Also read: Indian Cooking Tips: How To Make Thattu Dosa – A Popular Treat From The Streets Of Kerala
Try the recipe at home.