WILMINGTON, NC (WECT) – This weekend’s Kentucky Derby and Chef Brad Hagler of Savor Southern Kitchen joined Bill Murray in the WECT kitchen to share some of his favorite recipes for a great Kentucky Derby Day celebration.
Hagler showed a miniature version of Kentucky Hot Browns from The Brown Hotel in Louisville, Kentucky. Hagler said these candied turkey sandwiches with tomatoes and bechamel sauce are also known as Kentucky’s state sandwich.
Its spicy pimento cheese dip is a great accompaniment to your favorite crackers, and Hagler says you can enjoy it with your favorite pecan pie. Hagler’s Kentucky Derby pecan pies contain both chocolate and bourbon.
The 148th Kentucky Derby is this Saturday and WECT has full coverage of the world’s most famous horse race. Post time is 6:57 PM Saturday.
Sugar – 1/2 cup
Dark brown sugar – 1/4 cup
Light brown sugar – 1/4 cup
Glucose syrup (light) – 1 1/2 cups
Butter – 1/4 cup
Vanilla – 1.5 tsp
Chopped pecans – 1 1/2 cups
Bourbon – 1/4 cup
Chocolate chips – 1/2 cup
Eggs – 4
9 inch pie pan – 1
1) Boil sugars and corn syrup together for 2 minutes, let cool slightly.
2) In a separate bowl, beat the eggs and slowly add them to the sugar mixture.
3) Add bourbon, vanilla, pecans, and chocolate chips and mix well.
4) Pour in the cake tin.
5) Bake at 350 degrees (F) for 35-45 minutes.
Kentucky Hot Brown
Makes 2 sandwiches, cut into 1/4 pieces for mini servings.
For Bechamel sauce (or use high-quality Alfredo sauce):
Heavy cream – 1 1/2 cups
Whole milk – 1/2 cup
Pecorino Romano cheese – 1/2 cup (1 tablespoon for garnish)
Nutmeg – pinch
Salt & pepper – to taste
Sliced Turkey Breast – 12 oz.
Texas toast – 4 slices
Bacon – 4 slices
Roma tomatoes – 8 slices
1) Melt the butter in a pan and slowly stir in the flour.
2) Continue beating over low/medium heat to foam the roux.
3) Beat in the cream and milk for 2/3 minutes until the cream begins to simmer, then remove from heat.
4) Beat in the Pecorino cheese until smooth, then add nutmeg and salt and pepper.
5) Toast the bread.
6) Top each with 6 oz. turkey and 4 slices of Roma tomatoes.
7) Pour sauce over top and toast until cheese begins to brown and bubble.
8) Top with 2 slices of bacon and garnish with Pecorino.
Shredded Sharp Cheddar – 8 cups
Mayo – 3/4 cups
Dijon mustard – 2.5 tablespoons
Roasted red peppers – 1 long or 2 small
Texas Pete – 2 teaspoons
Worcestershire sauce – 1/8 cup
Granulated Garlic – 1.5 tsp
Onion powder – 1 tablespoon
Black pepper – 1 teaspoon
1) Mix well.
2) Refrigerate if not served immediately.
Copyright 2022 WECT. All rights reserved.