Breakfast is considered the most important meal of the day as it keeps us energized and productive throughout the day. That’s why you shouldn’t skip breakfast. Every year India’s Republic Day on January 26 gives the whole family the opportunity to sit together and watch the colorful Republic Day parade. Stay focused, but also try some quick breakfast recipes to stay healthy!
For quick breakfast recipes, HealthShots is connected to Greata Sherene Robinson, Executive Nutritionist – Cloudnine Group of Hospitals, Chennai. Here are some easy and quick breakfast options you can prepare before the Republic Day parade starts early in the morning!
1. High protein breakfast (preparation time – 15 minutes)
• 2 beaten eggs
• Tomatoes (seeded and chopped) – ½ cup
• Onions (chopped) – ½ cup
• Peppers (chopped) – 1/4 cup
• Paneer (minced meat) – 75 grams
• Salt – to taste
• Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
• Turmeric powder – a pinch
• Chili powder – ¼ tsp
• Oil – 2 tablespoons
• Mix all ingredients together and make sure the consistency is slightly thick.
• Put oil in a pan and pour the mixture.
• Once it is cooked, turn it over on the other side. You can also add ingredients such as oats.
This protein-rich breakfast is easy to make and takes no time at all.
Robinson says that protein (vegetarian protein sources) is important for our muscle development. It also keeps us satiated and reduces our cravings for carbohydrates or simple sugars. Vegetables such as tomatoes and peppers also add some antioxidants.
2. Oat wheat rava idli (Prep time – 10-12 minutes)
• Oats – 1/4th cup
• Broken wheat – 1 cup
• Cottage cheese – 1 cup
• Green pepper (finely chopped) – 1 tsp
• Coriander and curry leaves – 1 tsp each
• Urad dal – 1 tablespoon
• Mustard seeds – 1 tablespoon
• Bengal gram – 1 tablespoon
• Carrots (grated) – 1 tbsp
• Beans (chopped) – 1 tbsp
• Toast the rava dry and let it cool.
• Take a bowl and add the rava, curd, salt and water. Let stand for a while and then add the remaining ingredients.
• Pour the well-mixed batter into the idli container and cover it. Let it steam and then serve it hot.
The expert says it’s always good to have complex carbohydrates on your plate. It helps with a slow rise in blood glucose levels compared to the simple carbohydrates where there is a rapid rise. Adding vegetables and oats also makes it more fiber.
3. Smoothie with yogurt and nuts (Preparation time – 10 minutes)
• Yogurt -1/2 cup
• Milk – 1/4th cup
• Honey for sweetness
• Nuts – (2 tablespoons)
• Cinnamon powder
• Banana – 1
• Orange juice – 1 tsp
• Combine all ingredients and place in a blender until smooth. • You can top with some chopped nuts and fruit of your choice with a mixture of pumpkin seeds, melon seeds, flax seeds and then serve.
Yogurt is a good probiotic and helps with gut health (benefits of yogurt). Nuts and seeds are healthy sources of fat.
4. Bread sushi (Preparation time – 15 minutes)
• Wholemeal bread – 4 slices
• Butter – 2 tsp
• Carrot (stripped long and thick) – 1/2
• Radish – 1/2
• Cucumber -1/2
• Peel the carrot, radish and cucumber and cut them into long thin strips. • Cut the crust off the bread and use a roll form to flatten the bread.
• Spread some butter on the bread and place the vegetables on top.
• Roll up tightly and then cut the bun. Your bread sushi is ready and can be served.
The veggies add some fiber and antioxidants to the plate. You can also use chickpea hummus as a dressing that also adds some protein.
Enjoy these easy breakfast options while watching this year’s Republic Day parade.