250 g flour/cream flour
30 g corn flour
130 g butter/margarine
60 g caster sugar
1 egg yolk
20 ml water/milk.
Sift flour and cornstarch together
· Rub through cold butter until it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Be careful not to mix for too long.
· Mix egg, sugar and water together and add to the crumbled mix to form a soft paste.
· Wrap in cling film for at least 30 minutes.
450 g (approximately) fresh rubbarb sticks washed and cut into 2 cm pieces,
15 g (1 tablespoon cornstarch)
Use 250g to carefully extend the base pin to a thickness of 3mm on a greased 30cm deep side tart pan
Place in prepared rhubarb
Wet edges of base
Mix sugar and cornflour and sprinkle over the rhubarb
Pin the top with the remaining 250g paste, seal the edges and insert a few steam vent holes.
· Bake at 185C for 40 minutes, turning 1/2 times. Sprinkle with sugar immediately after removing from the oven.
Protect the bottom of the oven with a baking dish or some baking paper on a baking tray under the pie pan to catch any escaping juices
Rhubarb Meringue Fool
450g (16oz) rhubarb, cleaned
175g (6oz) golden caster sugar
50ml (2fl oz) Cointreau – optional
3 tsp cornflour mixed to paste with a little cold water
300 ml (½ pint) box of double cream
500 g Greek yogurt
½ tsp vanilla extract
4 meringue nests/broken
6 pieces of crystallized ginger finely chopped for decoration.
Stem ginger shortbread
1. Cut the rhubarb into 2.5 cm cubes. Place in a saucepan with 125g sugar, liqueur and 25ml (1fl oz) cold water. bring to a boil; simmer gently until soft. Add the cornstarch and let it thicken to cool.
2. Whip cream, yogurt, vanilla and rest of sugar (50g) to soft peaks
3. Divide between six 250ml (9fl oz) sundae glasses by layering the cream, rhubarb purée and crushed meringue pieces until glass is filled and finish with some cream. Sprinkle crystallized ginger on top and serve with shortbread.
Rhubarb & Strawberry Ginger Crumble
450 g rhubarb washed and cut into 2 cm pieces
10-12 strawberries washed and quartered
150 g caster sugar
180 g flour
180 g light brown sugar
100 g ground almonds
120g Gingernut biscuits
1. Place the prepared rhubarb and strawberries in a greased 30cm deep ovenproof tart tin, sprinkle with sugar and add 30ml (2 tbsp) water
2. Place all crumble ingredients in food processor and pulse until crumbly (If no food processor, grind biscuits with rolling pin until fine and blend all ingredients until crumbs form)
3. Sprinkle on crumble
4. Bake for 35-40 minutes at 180C
5. Serve warm with custard or vanilla ice cream