NEW ONESYou can now listen to Fox News articles!
If you’re craving French toast, don’t just make an old recipe. Heed his call by making a batch of this over-the-top French toast casserole, complete with strawberries, strawberry preserves, cream cheese, brown sugar, and powdered sugar.
“This Strawberry French Toast Casserole reminds me of sunny Sunday mornings, waking up to the smell of my mom cooking breakfast. It’s decadent and sweet with crispy caramelized edges and a lovely custardy center,” says Britney Brown-Chamberlain, founder of food blog BritneyBreaksBread.com.
“Because strawberries are one of my favorite fruits and French toast is always so delicious, I decided to put them together and make this unforgettable breakfast that everyone loves.”
As Brown-Chamberlain points out, this dish can be prepared the night before and baked in the oven in the morning. When you make this tasty casserole, make sure to use her pro tip and let the dish cool completely before adding the powdered sugar.
BEST BREAKFAST EVER: MAPLE BACON CINNAMON ROLLS
Strawberry French toast casserole from Britney Breaks Bread
Makes 8 servings
Preparation time: 1 hour 10 minutes
Cooking time: 1 hour
BROWN BUTTER CINNAMON STREUSEL COFFEE PIE: TRY THE RECIPE
– 1 brioche bread, sliced
– 6 eggs, room temperature
– 1¼ cups of whole milk
– ¾ cup brown sugar
– 1 cup of strawberry preserves
– 1 tablespoon vanilla extract
– ½ teaspoon salt
– 8 ounces of cream cheese, room temperature
– 1 tablespoon icing sugar, for garnish
– Strawberries, for garnish
CLICK HERE TO GET THE FOX NEWS APP
- Spray a 9 by 13 baking pan with oil and place each piece of bread in the pan, placing one piece on top of the next.
- Whisk together eggs, milk, brown sugar, ½ cup strawberry preserves, vanilla extract, and salt. Beat until smooth. Pour on the bread and press the bread down to ensure that the bread is submerged in the custard.
- Mix the remaining strawberry jam with the cream cheese and divide over each piece of bread. Cover with plastic wrap. Leave the bread in the fridge for at least an hour, preferably three hours to overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. Bake for 50 minutes to an hour, until the top is golden brown and crispy. Let French toast cool for 10 to 15 minutes. Note that the French toast will swell as it bakes, but will deflate and flatten as it cools.
- Sprinkle with icing sugar and top with strawberries.
This one original recipe is owned by britneybreaksbread.com and shared with Fox News Digital.