Porridge is a staple food for breakfast in various parts of the world. Porridge made with oats is widely consumed in Russia, the US and Canada, among others. Porridge is basically made by heating or cooking ground, crushed or chopped starchy plants, mainly grain, in milk or water. World Porridge Day 2022 is celebrated annually on October 10; it was founded by Mary’s Meals, a UK-based charity that feeds over 1.6 million children in 19 countries around the world. The first World Porridge Day was celebrated in the year 2009.
Porridge can be turned into a variety of sweet and savory dishes.
On the occasion of World Porridge Day, here are some unique and delicious recipes from Swapnadeep Mukherjee, executive chef at The Metropolitan Hotel & Spa.
1. Porridge Kebab
Yogurt hung – 500 gm
Porridge – 300gm
Onions, chopped – 2 no
Green chili – 4 no
Cottage cheese – 75 gm
Coriander seeds – 1 tsp
Saffron – few strands
Black pepper – ½ teaspoon
Ginger, chopped – ½ tbsp
Red chili flakes – 1½ tsp
Besan – ½ cup
Cornmeal – 2 tbsp
Oil – for frying
• Place a muslin cloth over a bowl and pour in the yogurt, pick up the edges of the cloth and tie a knot and hang until it becomes a cheesy mixture.
• Grate cottage cheese and keep aside. Roast coriander seeds and black pepper and grind to a powder.
• Heat saffron threads in water to extract the color.
• To make the filling: Mix grated cheese, coriander pepper powder, green chilies, onions, ginger, saffron water and salt.
• Place hanging yoghurt and porridge in a bowl, add red chilli flakes and coriander pepper powder, besan, paneer and cornflour and make equal balls.
• Put the filling in each ball and form kebabs. Shallow fry in oil and serve warm
2. Pap ki Tikki
Porridge – 200 g
Potato boiled – 100 gm
Ginger sliced - 15 gm
Chili green – 10 gm
Olive oil – 5 ml
Salt – to taste
Coriander leaves – 20 gm
Yellow chili powder – 5 gm
Black cumin – 5 g
• Mix porridge with boiled potato. Add all ingredients, salt to taste and make a medium soft dough.
• Divide the prepared dough into eight to ten equal portions.
• Wet your hand with a little water and flatten each portion into a disc with a diameter of five to five centimeters. Shallow fry in oil and serve warm
3. Pap Halwa
Oatmeal porridge – 50 gm
Milk – 350 ml
Butter – 1 tbsp
Sugar – 2 tsp
• Melt a knob of butter in a pan and add the oatmeal
• Roast the oats until they start to turn golden brown and fragrant
• Add the milk and simmer gently until thick and creamy. Now add the sugar, mix well. Garnish and serve hot.